Saturday, February 20, 2010

What is it like?

I pose these following questions to LDS wives reading this ... What is it like to have an LDS husband? What is it like to have the priesthood in your home? What is it like to be a full member family? .... you get the picture. I wonder if it's anything like the family in Leave it to Beaver? Probably not, but you get the idea there too. Anyway, these questions came to mind after the awesome Fireside last night that guest starred Sister Susan Bednar, an apostle's wife. She didn't strike me as an eloquent speaker but it was obvious she was humble and I adored her for that quality. She invited questions and towards the end I had a question in mind but didn't get around to asking. I wanted to ask her take on part-member families. Being in that situation, I wanted insight on the subject. I found myself hearing the churchie answers like: pray, live the gospel, be patient, be faithful, etc. What else? I know there's no magic answer but ...but.

What also drove me to ask those questions came from the sweet feeling I felt during President M.'s (didn't catch the name, one of the stake presidents in attendance) closing remarks. He struck me as an eloquent speaker. I sensed his righteous use of his priesthood. I liked that and so I wondered what life was like for his wife and thus your lives with your husbands.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I chose the wrong man. Far from it! Dave's my man. He leads his life worthy of a priesthood holder ... just doesn't have it officially. I wouldn't trade him for one that does either. He's a keeper!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feb. 22th by Dulce:
First, let me tell you that after the fireside last Friday, I told my husband that I didn't think that she was an eloquent speaker yet she did ok for letting the women speak out their minds although I wasn't very impressed with the answers because prayer, patience, faith, obedience, etc. are so given! I am saying that I wanted more direct and ... See Morepersonal answers from someone with direct contact with an apostle and and apostles and even prophet. Well, I still like her!
Then, I guess, they saved the best for last that night because the Yucaipa Stake President said what I wanted to hear...his short but very meaningful talk made me realize how blessed I am that we have a righteous priesthood holder in our family. Also, I was reminded that God is so mindful of our needs and others' needs. And he was right, sometimes we are put on a trail of hardshipt to be able to help others who are on the same trail....

March 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feb.23rd by Shantell:
It's frustrating when you can see the potential there. Even if your husband is the best he thinks he can be and is a great guy, he's not the best you know he can be. The one thing I found when I got married was that my husband had to know I married him for him, for who he was at that moment. I couldn't pray his free agency away and make him become a member; it doesn't work that way. He had to know I loved him for who he was. RJ did join the church, but he knew it was okay if he didn't -- that our family would still be our family if that never happened. I didn't really answer your question, so I may come back to it later.

March 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home