Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Daddy comes home safely"

As many of you know, my husband is a correctional officer by profession. In my early adult years, I told myself that I wouldn't want to marry a doctor, police officer, or a man in the military. Doctors I figure have long hours and too many pretty nurses within reach! Police officers and military men of course follow danger. But love prevailed and I got myself an officer, though not a cop, but certainly in the same blanket family of dangerous jobs. Add, that he worked the night shift meant that I was left home by myself during the dark nights. I learned not to jump every time the house creaked. I learned to get use to having my own gun and be able to know how to use it properly. I learned to plead to Heavenly Father to bring Dave home safely. All this also while pregnant with little David and for his first year and a half. Then Dave got a swing shift position (2pm-10pm). That still left us alone during part of the night, but it sure was much better that he was in bed with me at nights. He's still in the swing shift position now and so the kids and I have come to a routine to fend for ourselves ... of course, along the way Dave has provided us a safe environment ... peaceful neighborhood, good lighting, security cameras, etc. Moreover, being a family man gave him a great motivation and assurance to us that he will do everything he can to return home to us. Of course, it couldn't hurt to pray for him either and so we do. Little David must have picked up the "Daddy comes home safely" part of my earlier prayers because now, all his prayers include this; even meal time prayers! Now, Sophia hasn't quite gotten the structure of proper prayer (address Heavenly Father, thank Him, make requests, and close in the name of Jesus Christ, amen) but she'll fold her arms, close her eyes, bow her head and prays, "Daddy come home safely, amen". That's it! Nothing else. Really cute. And as for Steven, he'll fold his arms and say his word of amen after us ... darling!!

I mention this because a few nights ago Dave neglected to tell me that he'd be home late and the reality of being a wife of an officer came to the picture. I've learned to be tough but I still worry silently.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Your kids prayers are very cute. I always breath a sigh of relief when my husband comes home after being gone until midnight sometimes.

February 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home