Monday, October 15, 2007

Awesome Calling!

Late July, the second counselor to the Bishop stopped my tracks and asked if I had a moment to speak with him. "Sure." I said. It must be something important to be going to the Bishop's office. "Hurray!" I thought. "Pleassssse let it be a new calling." I thought some more. Sure enough he extended to me a new calling (assignment). I was called to be a Primary teacher. OK, shocker!!! I was used to Relief Society assignments. I've been 2nd counselor to RS presidency, spiritual living teacher, RS instructor, Enrichment board member, ... stake missionary, ... all adult related. Children! Oh no! I accepted because he assured me that the bishopric had prayed about it. But I was petrified! "Oh, Heavenly Father please don't let me screw up the kids I will be teaching!" was my first plea in my mind as I left the office. My nervousness was getting to me in the days that followed. I prayed and prayed. The following week I was sustained in the congregation. Then three weeks later, I finally got set-apart by the bishopric. Wow! It's official. I will be teaching the CTR 7 class, the 6-7 year olds.

My first day with the kids was not really suppose to be my first day (I wasn't even set-apart yet)! Their temporary teacher wasn't there so the Primary counselor handed me the manual and off to class the kids and I went. I didn't even know where our class met! The boys lead me there. OK, I had no preparation! Not even 1 minute! So we went to class and made introductions and just winged it. It was ackward but we survived.

Now with little more feel for the calling and getting to know my students, this calling is definitely awesome! Two boys have moved so I only have three students left; Thomas (in white), Ryan (in blue), and Priscilla (not pictured). I love them all !! Priscilla hasn't been to church in awhile but I go weekly to her home and give her the lesson to keep her up to date. One day she will be in class. The boys and I are looking forward to that day. In the meantime, Thomas and Ryan keep me on my toes! They're still in the fidgety age. But, oh! they're good students and wonderful young disciples of Jesus Christ. I'm certainly thankful for this opportunity to work with the kids. I love them so!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger famiLEE of 6 said...

ate Jinx,

Children are so precious... I used to teach CTR 6-7 when i was in OCeanside. They are so adorable and i have learned a lot from them.. Cherish each and everyone of 'em.... They are so fun to teach. ANd always remember that you are preparing them to be baptized....
Keep the Faith and you are awesome!

October 17, 2007 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Zion Press said...

The cute blond in blue is adorable! Okay, I'm a little biased, but he is cute.
Shantell

October 25, 2007 at 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home