How I Met My Husband
A friend and I recently got to talking about how Dave proposed to me and it was nice recalling that. Later at home I got to reminiscing about how Dave and I met and our dating years. I thought I’d record what I can remember while I still remember some, so I’ll start with how I met him and perhaps continue our story in future posts. So here goes …
Ate Mila and I met at my first nursing job back in ‘96. She was cute, energetic and always had a big smile! She was our mother hen during our shift. A veteran at nursing she looked out for me, the rookie. Months later she found another job. Guess where? Yeap! Where Dave worked. Of course, she was in the hospital section of the correctional facility. At that time, Dave made rounds there and got to know Ate Mila. Anyway, Ate Mila and I still kept in touch over the months that followed. Knowing that I needed a good man in my life, she felt impressed to call me up and proceeded to tell me about Dave. I was very hesitant but I trusted her in the end (she was LDS also). About a week later, Dave called me. Of course, I didn’t recognize him and had forgotten that I had agreed to this blind meeting. We made introductions and small talks. I remember being intimidated by him. He would talk about his start of law school and up coming competitions that he was training for; while all I did at that time was lie in bed watching chick flick videos! No athletic bone in my body! He was smart and fit, my opposite. Well, we continued to talk over the phone for a couple of weeks until we finally set our first date, October 21, 1998 at Olive Gardens in Chino.
The prep for the first date was quite a task as many of you can imagine. My sister was there to help me. She suggested a shirt that would show some cleavage. I compromised on a black shirt that went down as far as my temple garment would allow and I just hoped “they” were not too important to him. Anyway, I was a bit late to our date, not a good first impression (in my defense, traffic got me) but I think the firm handshake made up for it. It told him, I’m sorry and I’m now ready for you! Of course, inside I was a complete wreck!! I had to keep my clammy hands hidden under the table in order to wipe them dry. He was hot! Apparently our waitress thought so too, that hussy! Well, I don’t remember a word said in that date! I do remember calling my sister at a pay phone (didn’t have cell phones then, or at least I didn't) after the date and cried to her. My way of letting the nerves out. I only remember telling her that I really liked him and hoped we’d go out again. We did and the rest is to be continued.
Ate Mila and I met at my first nursing job back in ‘96. She was cute, energetic and always had a big smile! She was our mother hen during our shift. A veteran at nursing she looked out for me, the rookie. Months later she found another job. Guess where? Yeap! Where Dave worked. Of course, she was in the hospital section of the correctional facility. At that time, Dave made rounds there and got to know Ate Mila. Anyway, Ate Mila and I still kept in touch over the months that followed. Knowing that I needed a good man in my life, she felt impressed to call me up and proceeded to tell me about Dave. I was very hesitant but I trusted her in the end (she was LDS also). About a week later, Dave called me. Of course, I didn’t recognize him and had forgotten that I had agreed to this blind meeting. We made introductions and small talks. I remember being intimidated by him. He would talk about his start of law school and up coming competitions that he was training for; while all I did at that time was lie in bed watching chick flick videos! No athletic bone in my body! He was smart and fit, my opposite. Well, we continued to talk over the phone for a couple of weeks until we finally set our first date, October 21, 1998 at Olive Gardens in Chino.
The prep for the first date was quite a task as many of you can imagine. My sister was there to help me. She suggested a shirt that would show some cleavage. I compromised on a black shirt that went down as far as my temple garment would allow and I just hoped “they” were not too important to him. Anyway, I was a bit late to our date, not a good first impression (in my defense, traffic got me) but I think the firm handshake made up for it. It told him, I’m sorry and I’m now ready for you! Of course, inside I was a complete wreck!! I had to keep my clammy hands hidden under the table in order to wipe them dry. He was hot! Apparently our waitress thought so too, that hussy! Well, I don’t remember a word said in that date! I do remember calling my sister at a pay phone (didn’t have cell phones then, or at least I didn't) after the date and cried to her. My way of letting the nerves out. I only remember telling her that I really liked him and hoped we’d go out again. We did and the rest is to be continued.
Meet Ate Mila. Told you she's cute.

Here Dave received the baton and off he goes. This was the first Laughlin to Vegas relay. We've only been going out 3-4 wks and already I'm in Laughlin/Vegas with him cheering for his team. The whole relay thing was quite an awesome experience for me to see first hand. He even let me drive his Explorer to follow him during his runs.
One of his teammates got injured during her run so Dave finished her leg for her. --Side note: Dave also did the more famous Baker to Vegas relay before I met him and he told me they placed 26th or something like that. --Hey! I'm his lucky charm!! --He also did the Toughest Cop Alive competition. 
Their hard efforts paid off because they ended up in first place in their division. Hooray!

Here's one of the Camp Pendleton Mud Runs that Dave competed in. Notice them taped up? You'll see why in a second.

This is why! They actually crawl in the mud towards the end of the 10K run.

Here's Dave up close. Go Hon go!

The finish line! They didn't do so well in this run but the following year, they placed first in their division. --Dave went to 3 or 4 of these mud runs.
Labels: Dave

1 Comments:
What a cute story! Aren't first dates just great?!!! Nerve racking would be the better word! I am glad things went well -- I can tell you love him the way you talk about him!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home