Uncle Joey Our Hero!
(Wikipedia)
This afternoon my kiddos and I went to my sister's to celebrate my nephew's 17th birthday. Swimming in the pool was part of the festivities. So when it was time for that part, I sprayed sunblock on all the little munchkins (cousins) and off they go to the pool. I specifically told Sophia to stay in the shallow jacuzzi section of the pool with her cousin Kaelyn. She said okay; my brother was the adult watching them; and Leno and a couple of his friends were good swimmers so good, I go inside the house. Later I go to the sliding door and see Sophia on the deep end of the pool, arms holding on to the edge, head seemingly on the way down with her body ...she wasn't actively drowning but she was in the deep end and you can guess the terror that overcame me. I screeeamed her name over and over again and before I knew it, my brother jumped into the pool and I'm out in the scene just as quickly. I see my brother flailing (he really doesn't know how to swim ..maybe manage a dog paddle) but my eyes were concentrated on Sophia who at that point got out and headed back into the jacuzzi section ... and my brother managed to fight his way off the pool safely.
I hadn't realize that there was pool steps/seats and Sophia was standing on it! So she was actually not sinking but I happened to catch her at the moment when she concluded climbing over the jacuzzi/deep end divider and on her way to stand on the steps. At the time my brother's eyes were on his phone but as soon as he heard my panic yells, he looked up and from his point of view, he thought Sophia was drowning and instinctively jumped into the pool after her forgetting he couldn't swim!
Boy, that will be forever be a memorable moment! Our family excitement of the decade! I gave everyone present there a big scare with my desperate screams. It all happened so quickly and reactions were overall shock. Those in the pool and in the house were stunned and BOOM! it was over.
We (my parents, sister, brother and I) had a good laugh afterwards because the "lifeguard" who ended up jumping in the pool couldn't swim and could have drowned! Of course, it was only funny because everyone was all right and we were having post tension perspective.
Through it all, I looked at my brother with love, gratitude, and admiration because he dove to rescue his niece, my daughter! What a loving and brave uncle! Thank you my little brother, our hero!!
(Here's a last year pic of my brother that I have on hand ..with his daughter Kaelyn and nephew Calvin)
ANYWAY,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE LIN! WHAT AN EXCITING DAY!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE LIN! WHAT AN EXCITING DAY!!
WE LOVE YOU!!!
Labels: adventures, Birthday, Jo, Leno



2 Comments:
I am glad everyone is ok! You are right, it is funny only cause no one was hurt. Hope you all are doing well!
We still joke about it!! Definitely grateful all went well. :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home