Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Friend's Birthday Story

Here's an example that men and women do not think alike:

My friend recently had a birthday and her husband didn't get her a birthday present.  He hadn't forgotten her birthday because he did get her a cake.  She figured she'd get her present later in the day.  Afternoon rolls around and he asks her what she wanted for her birthday.  She shrugged in reply (she was distracted watching General Conference on TV and she silently thought to herself that he ought to think of something on his own.. and isn't kinda late to ask?).  So about an hour later he and one of their sons goes out to Best Buys to purchase a new copier, their copier just died and their son needed something printed for school.  My friend thinks, okay, her husband's going to get something for her as well.  They come home later and nothing!  Evening rolls around, nothing!  Night time, nothing!  She was disappointed and sad.  To top all that, her husband hurt his shoulder earlier that day during judo and as usual he declined any offer of help.  My friend felt rejected and useless!  So for the next four days she was quiet and distant.  On the fifth day, my friend on impulse asked, "So where are you taking me out for my birthday?"  He replied, "I asked you and you said nothing, so I'm still waiting for your answer."  My friend told him that he think of something.  So he does and offers to take her out the next day for lunch at a nice restaurant.  My friend thought it was too simple and wanted him to work a little bit harder so she asked him to come up with a few choices for her.  Of course, evening rolls around and an incident happens and my dear friend looses it and takes off in her car crying.  She stops at a supermarket parking lot to sob some more.  The whole forgetting caught up to her and she threw herself a pity party.  After calming down, she tells herself to count her blessings.  He doesn't physically abuse her, he's a good provider, he's an awesome father, etc.  Who needs romance?  ...she didn't necessarily want a physical gift ...just a gesture to make her feel special, like.. Okay Honey, my mom's going to watch the kids and I'm taking you out to such and such and do such and such ...(forethought, not afterthought).

By the way, her husband went to the doctor and the x-ray showed a degenerative arthritis lurking and each passing day his shoulder was feeling better and better.  And as far as the birthday incident, my friend is still sad but she knows he loves her so she's going to let it pass.  She's just too sensitive.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger melissa's life said...

Is your friend really you? :) I have a worse story... My husband doesn't ever remember ANY holiday for me (birthday, anniversary, mothers day, christmas, etc...) I even talk about it ahead of time now to hopefully get him thinking but without fail it is usually a disappointment. I think he's thought to buy my something maybe 5 times (that includes any occation) out of 12 years of marriage. I need to be more forgiving, but it still hurts. I don't want to be an afterthought either so I completely sympathize with your friend.

April 16, 2011 at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home