Saturday, September 15, 2007

Hip Cooks

A couple of my dear high school friends, Arlyn and Jeannie, and I took a "Tarts for Tarts" cooking class today out in LA through Hip Cooks. It was fun! We met nice people and enjoyed learning about savory and sweet tarts. I thought it would be more hands on but I suppose we would probably only get through one dish if that was the case. Many from the class received the cooking class as a birthday gift, including Arlyn. Pretty neat and different gift so if you're interested, check them out at http://www.hipcooks.com/. The class was originally a 3 hour class but we were having fun and took an extra hour. Afterwards, Jeannie had a photo shoot gig so Arlyn and I hung out for awhile. Arlyn googled a nearby restaurant for tamales in banana leaves that she wanted to try. She took two to go. We were too full to eat anything more! Then we headed homeward bound. It was a pleasant traffic drive home. Pleasant because the extra long drive gave Arlyn and I time to chat some more. Oh yeah, we carpooled. I went to her house and from there she drove. Anyway, we then hung out at her house for a little while with her doggies. Then I met up with my parents and kids and went asian market shopping before the kids and I headed home. It was a long but interesting day.


Here are my friends with Tim filling the puff pastries with leek, egg mixture, and goatcheese. This was my favorite savory tart.


Here's a group picture of our class, excluding me (I was taking the picture). Counterclockwise from top left: Tim with his wife --don't remember, Arlyn, Jeannie, Barbara, don't remember, Stephanie, Cora, and don't remember.
My savory tart plate. Clockwise starting from the right: roasted redpepper polento tart with pesto swirl , leek and goatcheese puff pastry tart, and mixed salad with olive oil, lemon and pinch of salt. We also made smoked salmon and dill tart (too much dill for me!), not pictured. Our instructor's trainee made quiche Lorraine for us, that too not pictured.
My sweet tart plate. Counterclockwise starting from top left: orange tart, chocolate tart, lemon tart, and whip cream drizzled with rasberries; all topped with sprinkles of powered sugar --super yum!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home