A Mother's Prayer
Last night I noticed scratch marks on David's belly. It looked like he dug into it enough to go through skin so I told him to make sure he has clean hands and fingers if he's going to scratch in order to prevent infection and that he's well overdue for a nail trim. He said OK and so I left to go to another room. Shortly after, he comes to me with a scared look. I thought he got scared being alone and missing his Daddy (which is usually the case). With sincere voice he requested, "Mommy, will you give me a blessing?". I replied that I couldn't because I didn't hold the priesthood. He then said, "But my teacher said that if you go to church you could give a blessing". OK, I don't know exactly which lesson that was but sounds like he caught part of it. So I proceeded to tell him about who can hold the priesthood and some of the roles it plays. As I was explaining, I was inspired to conclude, "As a mom, I can pray and ask for a blessing for you. Would you like me to do that?" He said yes, so we closed our eyes, bowed our heads, and wrapped our arms together and I offered a prayer. Knowing David's sincere concern I prayed clearly, thoughtfully, and to my surprise ... became sacred. Along with asking for comfort in his concern for his health, I also softly pleaded for David to continue in righteous faith so that he will receive the priesthood and someday have the priesthood in our home and perhaps inspire his dad to receive the priesthood as well. I found myself choked up during this prayer. I was reminded that we do not have the priesthood in our home yet, so I need to be strong for us now. I need to be diligent in raising my kids to know Christ and live His teachings. As hard as it can get, I just have to keep trying.
Labels: priesthood

3 Comments:
Ate Jinx,
I love this kind of moment... I am so proud of you. You are doing the right thing! You are such an example to your children. Keep it up. Just be patient, blessings will come and will pour your heads to where there is not enough space to receive it.
Love ya... I am feeling much better with the N/V. Will talk to you soon..
That is such a sweet and inspirational story. What a good Mommy you are!
Thanks, Jinky for sharing this.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home